Skip to main content

It appears that certain Atlas O CZ cars are difficult to locate and I'm considering a 3 rail to 2 rail conversion. If I have overlooked a posted topic on this matter then please advise. Looking at the 2 Rail cars on my roster it would appear to be a wheel and coupler replacement plus a re-wire of the electrical pickup for the car lighting.

If any of you 2 rail modelers have gone this route your thoughts and comments would be appreciated, thanks Gene.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have done this many times with many cars so far. It's not rewarding for me.  It's to the point where I look for only RTR!

I bought two sets of GGD NYC 21st Century LTD cars in three rail. I couldn't find any two rail. I stalled and stalled converting them. So far I've done about 4 cars? Each one I did a different way. I don't care what they look like when they don't perform good. The last one, I just used MTH trucks under it. They had electrical pickups and track better and roll easier than the others.

I also install LED strips and power supplies in each car. Too bright but I listened to others here. I'd tape some off but the cars are a pain to go inside. Of course finger prints got on the windows inside when I rushed. I have many more cars to do and it feels like work. I did some of the Atlas horizons too. I hate flickering lights.

I have to do several MTH cars as well. They draw too much juice. On one car that was done, the LED supply board blew on for not handling enough voltage. 

So..... try and use the right stuff to make your job easier. If you like fiddling, it's not that bad. I have better things to do like building a layout.

Last edited by Engineer-Joe

I have also converted several 3 rail CZ cars to 2 rail, just did the diner this past weekend.
You can do the truck swap if you can find Atlas 2 rail trucks and re-wire or do the NWSL wheelsets, but what I did was buy any CZ 2 rail car and swap the trucks and couplers with a 3 rail car, do the simple rewire, then re-sale the 3 rail car, I now have as 10 car CZ train with WP FP7A and B in power, but I am about to convert MTH powered B to 2 rail so I will have A-B-B all powered units to pull this train on my 2 level layout with 3+% grades.

Hope this helps! ncng

As NCNG saiz -- I too took the easy way out by buying the 3 rail version of the car I wanted and a 2 rail car for trucks, etc.  Swapped components to get the 2 rail car I wanted and sold the resulting 3 rail car.  It worked out great.  Saved a lot of time.  Cost me the difference between buying a new car and selling the resulting 3 rail car as used/like new.  Close to the same cost of wheelsets and other stuff and maybe less than complete trucks and other stuff.  The  result is a car with 100% Atlas O parts -  identical to my other cars.  And to address Santiago's point I transferred the 2 rail more correct cut bars and steam lines in the bargain -- which may be available as spare parts from Atlas O.  But, I didn't have to hassle with it. 

Last edited by Austin Bill

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.