Skip to main content

All,

I picked up a Lionel U30C w/ Odyssey w/ issues for cheap. Upon initial test, the R2LC took input from the Legacy remote and performed all functions (except motion) in run mode for a bit. Shortly thereafter, it stopped responding and never took input again. I swapped it out with a known working R2LC and all functions are fine (with the exception of fwd or rev).
I recall I had the similar issue with another loco that used the same mother board and antenna configuration. I moved the antenna wire out of the factory harness and it worked consistently. Puzzled why it didn’t work as initially assembled, I looked further into other possibilities. I eventually swapped the RS power board with one that had the metal shield around the ferrite choke and that cured the issue on the other loco.
First question: has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible the R2LC receiver circuit on its way out? Or, am I getting interference/noise from the power board?
Next, does anyone have an 691-DCDR-HM5 motor driver laying around they want to part with? I’m pretty sure this one is toast. I haven’t looked closely at the board yet. Currently, the loco doesn’t move in either direction (using either the old R2LC or the known good R2LC). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by DanVW
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I took a closer look at it tonight and figured out the issue. I removed the DCDR from the chassis for a close inspection.  It didn’t have any telltale signs of a short or damage. I wasn’t getting any motor movement or rise in temp at the heat sink. I had a hunch that it was a wiring issue so I did some troubleshooting. As it turns out, the 6 pin power/motor plug was faulty. So, it’s back up and running.
Thanks,

Dan

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.