Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nick,

I've had to repair a couple of mine that quit flickering.   If you turn the car upside down,  you will see 4 small(#0 if I remember) phillips head screws at 90 degrees that hold the top third of the ladle on to the rest of the body.   Carefully remove them and the top of the ladle with the orangeish colored plastic will come off.   You will then see the small printed circuit board with the light bulb on it that is held into the bottom part of the ladle with two more phillips head screws.   Remove those two screws and lift the circuit board up far enough to unplug it from the wiring harness.   Sometimes you can get away with just a new bulb,  other times you will have to replace the circuit board.  Unfortunately for me,  I had to replace the circuit boards,  which were available from Lionel for $12 if I remember correctly(it was about a year ago).   Just took a quick look on Lionel's website and the part number is 620-9401-150 and it shows they are in stock for $12.  Hope this helps.

Nick

Last edited by Former Member

Thanks for understanding!   I have 18 of the slag cars.   I don't have any of the hot metal cars,  but I took a look at some up close photos of a couple I found on the internet.   It looks like the sub/torpedo body splits in half,  but on one end the split is upward and the other end the split is downward.   It looks like the large covered box on the one end of the car needs to be taken off by removing the screws located on the underside of the car.   Maybe the smaller box on the other end of the car needs removed also-not sure.   But it looks like once those boxes are removed,  you would have access to the sub body to remove and split it to gain access to the inside.   By the way the PCB board for the slag car and hot metal car are the same #620-9401-150.   The two bulb numbers are also the same for each car #620-9401-300(18v bi pin bulb) and #920-9401-301(16v bi pin bulb)   All the parts are available from lionel.   Hope you get them apart and fixed.

Nick 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.