Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've heard the stories: TMCC is only for 3-rail; DCS doesn't work on 2-rail; you can't run those big flanges on 2-rail track; you can't use 2-rail track on carpet. None of them are true. It's all about doing your homework.

Remember several years back when we ran a DCS 3/2 in 2-rail mode under DCS while running an Atlas 2-rail TMCC engine at a TCA meet in Arcadia? That was impressive especially given the size of the loop. Been looking at 2-rail ever since. At some point I need to get a loop of Atlas 2-rail curved track.

This is not new.  In the 1970s one could, for under $20, get a C-Liner, three freight cars, and a loop of snap track, all in 2-rail O Scale, and if one had a transformer, one could have a carpet railroad about fifteen minutes after opening the box.

For scale model railroaders, there are only two reasons for big flanges and three rail track: Nostalgia, or prior investment.  The only one that makes sense to me is nostalgia - one hobbyist has posted that, to him, O Scale simply does not look right without the center rail.  Investment considerations are what you do when you buy stocks.

Originally Posted by bob2:

- one hobbyist has posted that, to him, O Scale simply does not look right without the center rail. 

Yeah, I read that too. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I believe that the person who said that is in the minority.

I think by and large 3 railers have accepted the 3rd rail and it doesn't bother them. I would bet that when JLC changed from tinplate to die-cast if he gotten rid of the center rail at that point in time there would be no one today asking for a center rail to be added down the middle of the track like the track the tinplate trains ran on.

It has been my oft expresed opinion that O Scale will not take off until a person can walk into a store and purchase a complete 1:48 2-rail Trainset, that will contain a loop of track,   power pack, and a fairly detailed engine, a few cars and a caboose (or an EOT Device..LOL). Seems that is accomplished on other scales. Why not O?

I'm aware of the aborted AHM efforts in the early 70's with their horrid couplers, etc.I don't think Atlas had complete trainsets with their 24 inch radius curves and nicer engines and cars.

Dan Weinhold

I have been using MTH Realtrax with solid rails on the carpet, irregularly since 2007. I used to run HO trains from an Atlas starter set on the carpet when I first got into model trains 10 years ago but the track did not have a roadbed & the trucks started picking up carpet fibers even though I only ran the trains occasionally. So when I got into O-Scale, I went looking for track sections with roadbed & MTH Realtrax met my needs. But since I leave some sections of track always on the floor, some of the mating plastic tabs on the sectional pieces break off & I need to keep replacing the sections every few years. Realtrax with solid rails are getting difficult to find & so recently when I needed to replace some O-82 curve sections (the largest curve that MTH offers in Realtrax) I had to buy some with hollow-rail. I have not used the hollow-rail sections yet but they look similar to the solid-rail except from the open ends.

It is not difficult to remove the center rail. I remove the copper tabs under the center-rail from the underside of the roadbed & pull out the center-rail with pliers.

I use 1 or more 10” straight sections on either side of each O-82 curve & I use a pair of MTH Illuminated Lock-Ons on either side to connect my DC Powerpack.

I was working on 2-railing a Realtrax O-72 switch & used Evergreen Plastics strips (0.080” X 0.188&") to prevent the 2-rail wheels from derailing. It worked mechanically & I was able to roll Lionel Husky cars with Protocraft 2-rail trucks & Golden Gate Depot 2-rail passenger cars without derailing & whenever I get the time & the tools, I plan to complete the electrical connections in the switch.

These are just my opinion,

Thanks,

Naveen Rajan

IMG_4308 [1024x768)

IMG_4309 [1024x768)

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_4308 (1024x768)
  • IMG_4309 (1024x768)
Last edited by naveenrajan

Naveen, you know it's amazing how much better the Realtrax looks even though the tabs that hold the center are still there and visible! Thank you very much for the information.

I think not being able to buy an O scale 2 rail train set is only a small part of the problem. Even if such a thing were available it wouldn't suddenly make 2 rail more popular. IMHO, the problem is a combination of all the myths that perpetrated throughout the hobby about 2 rail, the lack of publicity (I got into O gauge in 1996 and it took me about 4 years to find out 2 rail actually existed) and (as bob2 always says) the fact that the center rail has nothing to do with the minimum radius for a locomotive. If locomotives were offered with the same compromises as 3 rail to handle tight radius curves that would help too.

Thanks for the compliments. I like Realtrax but I would rather have a layout with typical 2-rail track with wide curves as I have the room for a maximum radius of 72” radius. But at this stage in my career, it is likely that I would have to relocate as job needs dictate & cannot have a permanent layout. After seeing Brian Huang’s modular layout at this year’s Galesburg Railroad Days, I am looking into making a modular layout (72” X 30” max sections), that could be stacked over each other when not in use that I could take with me if I had to move. Maybe when I get closer to retirement, which is still almost 30 years away, I might build a 2-rail layout similar to the ones I have been admiring on these forums.

Thanks,

Naveen Rajan

I think there only two ways to go...either have some kind of layout or setup so you can run trains, or go without, and sit on the couch reading articles or posts about other people having fun running their trains.

If the best a person can do is a carpet central then so be it--it beats the snot out of nothing!

Jeff C

Looks like a blast, I miss the carpet central empires of my youth.  A good vaccuuming prior to operation helps with carpet stuff into the gears.  Using track with a built in roadbed helps also.  I have seen carpet layouts built up to test track plans prior to building the actual benchwork.  Just wish my father had been into the trains like I was and still am.  Mike

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.