Skip to main content

back in 2003, I purchased a new MTH 501004 ACCESSORY INTERFACE unit and a MTH 50-1001 DCS REMOTE CONTROL SET. they have been packed away unopened.

I am getting ready to have a PS3 upgrade done to one of my engines and install DCS on my legacy lionel layout. my question is, will these units work ok, or do they need upgrading?

I have been reading about DCS, and understand there were connectivity problems with early TIU units. this is my initial exposure to DCS and I want it to go as smooth as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They may work OK, however, the devices have antique versions of DCS that lack many features of the current DCS and also have a slew of bugs.

If I were you, I'd simply upgrade both the remote and the TIU to DCS 5.0, using Loader Program 5.0.

DCS Book CoverEverything that you need to know about DCS and a whole lot more is all in “The DCS Companion 3rd Edition!"

This book is available from many fine OGR advertisers and forum sponsors, or as an eBook or a printed book at OGR’s web store!
Last edited by Barry Broskowitz

The TIU and the remote should be upgraded to the latest software, which is version 5.0.  Regardless of age, this can be done.  Do note that if your set has version 2.#, a reset is necessary after installing the upgrade.  Therefore, I suggest that you upgrade the software before adding locos and the AIU.

The earliest TIUs, Rev G, which did not have a Rev # label on the bottom, had an initial deficiency which MTH corrected.  I have 2 of those, whihc MTH corrected under warranty, and they still work perfectly.  In fact, one of them is now the main TIU on my layout, is driving 3 AIUs and is using MTH wifi, with no problems.  If your TIU has a Rev H or higher sticker, you should be good to go.  Do post what sticker, if any, is on your TIU.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Ste 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.